Tuesday, November 3, 2009

How To: Sweater Balls

These fun Sweater Balls are made from felted wool and stuffed with batting. The result is a super soft ball that is loads of fun! My kids love playing with these balls and no one gets hurt when a Sweater Ball is thrown to (at) them! This project comes together quickly and is a great way to use scrap pieces of felted wool left over from other projects.

1. Make a pattern piece that is 5 1/4" long and 3 1/4" wide and shaped like a football. Don't stress over this step ; it doesn't have to be exact

2. Using the pattern piece, cut out four pieces of felted wool; use two or more colors for a fun look.


3. Pin two pieces, right sides together, along one side. Using the edge of your sewing machine foot as a guide sew from one end to the other.


4. Repeat with the second and third pieces, making sure to alternate colors if you are using two colors.


5. On the fourth piece sew the entire length along one side but leave a 2"opening on the last side.


6. Trim the bulky seam allowance off along all the seams.


7. Turn the ball right side out.


8. Using a batting of your choice, stuff the ball to the desired firmness. You could also fill with Poly-Pellets, rice or millet to make a bean bag.


9. Once the ball is stuffed whip stitch the 2" open closed.


10. Voila! Soft, sturdy and oh, so fun: Sweater Balls!

5 comments:

Beth said...

Oh I love the idea of using beans to make bean bags! I think I'm going to have to try that.

Ginger said...

I also love this idea of sweater Balls!
relinking you on my blog as well.
hugs

Casey said...

a small version of this would be a great christmas tree ornament!

The Sweeter Sweater Company said...

Casey- I have a Christmas tree ornament planned using a smaller Sweater Ball! Stay tuned...

Sconi Mommy said...

I saw sweater balls in the Nova Naturals catalog and thought "I could probably make one for a lot less than $20". And yeah, this is easier than I thought and will cost me next to nothing. Thanks!